Thursday 12 June 2014

Haosek Bemitzva Patur Min Hamitzva

So I started reading Minchat Aviv. I wanted to start with an easy(relatively) one, so I skipped to the essay on העוסק בתורה פטור מן המצוה as applied to Talmud Torah. But, after reading through it the first time I figured I'd better brush up on the general topic of העוסק במצוה פטור מן המצוה. So expect a few posts on that, this being the first one.

Haosek Bemitzva Patur Min Hamitzva is a general rule that comes up many places in the Talmudic and Halachik literature. Basically, it states that while one is performing a mitzva, if another mitzva opportunity suddenly comes up, you are not obligated to do the second mitzva and you should continue doing the first mitzva.

 כשהוא יכול לקיים את שתיהן


Rav Udi Shwartz cites a debate between the Tosafos( סוכה כה א) and the Ohr Zaruah(חלק ב, הלכות סוכה, סימן רצ"ט) on the question of scope. Tosafos says that the ptur only applies if one isn't able to fulfill both mitzvas:

שלוחי מצוה - הולכי בדבר מצוה כגון ללמוד תורה או להקביל פני רבו ולפדות שבויין פטורין מן הסוכה ואפילו בשעת חנייתן כך פי' בקונטרס וכן משמע בגמרא דקאמר הולכי לדבר מצוה פטורין מן הסוכה בין ביום ובין בלילה ומשמע אע"פ שאין הולכין אלא ביום דאי דאזלי ביממא ובלילה אפי' לדבר הרשות נמי פטירי כדקתני בברייתא ועוד עובדא דרב חסדא ורבה בר רב הונא דגנו ארקתא דסורא ותימה אם יכולין לקיים שניהם אמאי פטורין דאטו אדם שיש לו ציצית בבגדו ותפילין בראשו מי מיפטר בכך משאר מצות ובפ' אין בין המודר (נדרים ד' לג:) גבי המודר הנאה דמחזיר לו אבידתו אע"פ דמהני ליה פרוטה דרב יוסף משום דלא שכיחא ואי כל זמן שאבידה בביתו מיפטר מלמיתב ריפתא לעני אם כן שכיחא היא אלא ודאי לא מפטר אלא בשעה שהוא עוסק בה כגון טלית של אבידה ושוטחה לצורכה או בהמה שנותן לה מזונות דלא שכיחא שבאותה שעה יבא עני לשאול ממנו וצריך לומר דהכא נמי איירי בכי האי גוונא דאי מיטרדי בקיום מצות סוכה הוו מבטלי ממצות..

The Ohr Zaruah, on the other hand, argues that even though it means that I'm missing the opportunity to fulfill both, I'm still patur from mitzva #2.

ואי אינו יכול לקיים את שניהם, אמאי אצטריך קרא למיפטריה, דמאי טעמיה יסתלק מן המצוה שעוסק בה ויתעסק במצוה אחרת, אפילו מצוה קלה לא שביק בעבור מצוה חמורה, שאין אדם יודע מתן שכרן של מצות, ותו ד'אל תהיו כעבדים המשמשין את הרב על מנת לקבל פרס' (אבות פ"א מ"ג). אלא ודאי אף על פי שיכול לקיים את שניהם פטריה רחמנא, וגזירת מלך היא.

I have to admit, I'm a little skeptical as to whether these Rishonim really disagree with each other. It seems to me that Tosafos are talking specifically about the case of a passive mitzva(like talis/tefilin/shaliyach mitzva who has camped for the night) and יכולין לקיים שניהם means that "if I can perform them simultaneously". The Ohr Zaruah, on the other hand, is talking about active mitzvas where doing one means I'm not doing the other דמאי טעמיה יסתלק מן המצוה שעוסק בה ויתעסק במצוה אחרת. In this case he says not to stop doing mitzva #1, even if it will cost me the opportunity to do mitzva #2.

Anyway, that's just my impression from reading the two sources, but it could be that if I had really taken time to learn up the whole sugya then I'd agree with Rav Shwartz's analysis, so take my opinion with a grain of salt...

No comments:

Post a Comment